Social Media Manager (for Aweber, an email marketing company)
Note: We included more text than usual from this position because it will be filled quickly and probably removed from the web. We know the company better than the other help-wanted ads we share with our students. One of the instructors is an Aweber customer.
The company is 100% invested in the social media market and understands, probably more than many older brick-and-mortar businesses, what this position both offers and requires.
It is a bit of a surprise that Aweber is advertising for this position, rather than promoting from within. However, they may already have an internal candidate for the position; sometimes ads are either fishing expeditions or EEOC-compliance exercises.
This position is MUCH larger than many freelance, part-time, or small-agency social media marketing managers usually encounter. It requires much more of a corporate background, or at least a well-grounded (proven!) understanding of what it’s like to work in a multi-million dollar company. Students and graduates who have come to the Social Media Manager Certificate Program from Fortune 1000 backgrounds will understand how these cross-functional, communication, and liaison skills are critical in a larger business.
The Social Media Manager Position
The Social Media Manager will own the Social Media strategy, management and execution for Aweber’s social presence. The Manager will work closely with other internal departments (PR, Sales, Product, Creative, HR, Customer Solutions) to meet/exceed company Social Media objectives and goals. Success for this role is measured by the evolution of our impact in Social Media (from an acquisition, retention and customer service standpoint), and across other paid, owned and earned efforts.
Our team includes smart people who appreciate talented goal seekers, continuous learning, experimentation and a lust for creating and implementing cutting edge solutions. We welcome those who share these passions to apply.
Qualifications for the Social Media Manager Position
- Minimum of 3 years managing a social media presence in an agency/product/brand environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Comfortable working in an informal, high-energy team environment.
- Proven ability to effectively work cross-functionally across the company.
- Excellent project management skills (i.e. Effectively owning something from concept through completion/launch).
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective strengths/weaknesses and how they can function successfully as a holistic solution.
- Knowledge of the blogging/earned media ecosystem for messaging platforms
- Effective articulation of ideas and complex concepts in written and verbal forms.
- Ability to effortlessly /effectively build and maintain internal and external relationships.
- Proven results as a team player and independent contributor.
- Proven ability to serve as a discipline/practice lead that can influence other departments (specifically PR, Product, Sales, Creative, Tech, HR) effortlessly.
- Have proven knowledge of other digital marketing channels (e.g. SEO, PPC, Display, Email, Affiliates) and their impact/influence on social efforts.
Responsibilities of the Social Media Manager
- Develop and implement the external and internal social media strategy, coordinating with key stakeholders across the multiple departments to ensure its effectiveness.
- Serve as the key liaison between our internal departments and external-facing social media content, driving key initiatives around customer service and our social media policies, protocols and workflow processes.
- Manage social media campaigns and day-to-day responsibilities. Duties include proactively managing content calendar, community outreach efforts, facilitating the resolution of customer inquiries, developing paid/earned tests, developing our brand advocates & influencers, driving innovation, etc.
- Manage and develop our presence on social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Quora and other similar community sites. Maintain our presence on relevant blogs, and develop relationships and innovative tests as needed.
- Become an advocate of the company (both internally and externally) in social media spaces (including mobile, video, local), participating in webinars, trade shows and conferences as needed.
- Develop and monitor relevant benchmarks around the impact of our social media programs. Create and analyze holistic reports for company stakeholders.
- Own the identification and negotiation for additional, relevant tools necessary to be effective in the position.
- Monitor trends in social media tools and innovations and report/present them internally.
Tom Kulzer on Mixergy
Andrew Warner of Mixergy interviewed Tom Kulzer, Founder of Aweber, on May 10, 2013. It was not Andrew’s greatest interview, IMO, and Tom handled a few inappropriate questions gracefully. If you are not a Mixergy Premium member, you can’t hear the interview anymore. However, you can read the transcript. Should you apply for the position, you would do well to included this interview in your preparation.